Thursday, May 24, 2012
Friday, May 11, 2012
Posted by Mike Jones at 3:23 PM
One of my co-workers at Cardinal Path recently asked me what blogs I follow...probably because I'm such a 'know-it-all.'
Anyways, so I rounded up a few, emailed them over, and they actually found them useful. And I thought 'Why not turn that list into a blog post?'
Yeah, I couldn't think of a reason either.
So here's some of the top blogs that I follow:
General Business News:
- Inc.com - an online version of the business-oriented magazine. I get their daily emails which gives you 5-6 quick news stories in business. They tend to focus on tech and startups.
- American Express's OPEN Forum - one of my favorite business and marketing news sites. Lots of great stuff here though they do be more focused on small businesses (which is a primary focus of American Express, as a business).
- A VC - the personal blog of Fred Wilson, a venture capitalist in NYC, with Union Square Ventures. Fred and USV have their hands in a ton of tech startups (including Twitter, SoundCloud, Tumblr, Zynga, Turntable.fm, KickStarter, Etsy, and others).
Advertising and Marketing:
- The BeanCast - Not a blog, per se, but one of my favorite podcasts ever. It's a weekly roundtable discussion of recent marketing and advertising news. They usually come from the perspective of small-to-med-sized agencies and companies (rather than the stuck-in-the-mud giant, corporate guys that populate much of the AdWeek news cycle).
- Seth. Godin. Is. Brilliant. Every post he writes is pure gold...or at least pretty shiny.
- Convince and Convert is Jay Baer's blog and personal consulting platform. This guy is one of the foremost thinkers in the burgeoning social media marketing world.
- Dan Zarrella. If Jay Baer is the Socrates of social media, Dan is the Sir Isaac Newton—a full-blooded scientist. He measures anything and everything about social media and also pulls some pretty amazing insights.
UX and Design
- Viget (UX agency out of D.C.) has a great series of blogs for anyone in UX, UI, and/or web development.
- UX Magazine is great for general user experience news and articles.
- Co.Design is Fast Company's design-centric online magazine. They've usually got some insightful and inspiring posts.
There's a whole slew of other blogs I follow for design inspiration but these here are more informational and high-level.
Definitely let me know what blogs you find helpful in your business. You can share below in the comments.
Wednesday, May 09, 2012
Tuesday, May 08, 2012
Posted by Mike Jones at 11:48 AM
Niki Blaker and I will be holding court over at Gangplank HQ for the weekly Brown Bag event.
We'll be discussing the new social networking site, Pinterest, looking at how we use the site, as well as how others are using it to be inspired, build connections, and market their brand.
If you can make it, hopefully you'll find it helpful in your own creative process (as well as networking and your social media marketing).
You can find all the event details and RSVP on Facebook.
Hope to see you then!
P.S. You can check out our own Pinterest inspiration boards here:
Niki Blaker on Pinterest
Mike Jones on Pinterest
P.S.S. Get even more design inspiration from these two Pinterest board round-ups that we were recently featured in!
On DesignShack.net: 200+ Pinterest Boards for Designers to Follow
On Tripwire Magazine's site: 40+ Interesting Pinterest Boards for Designers